1. In the 1830s, a British astronomer John Herschel used a solar collector box to cook food during an expedition to Africa. Now, people are trying to use the sun’s energy for many other purposes. Besides its continuous supply and advantages, the use of solar energy is increasing. Solar energy is also becoming more and more important because energy from petrol will disappear soon.
2. Biomass energy or bioenergy (energy from organic matter) has been used for thousands of years, ever since people started burning wood to cook or to keep warm .And today, wood is still our largest biomass energy resource.However, many other sources of biomass can now be used, including plants,residues from agriculture or forestry and the organic component of municipal and industrial wastes. Even the fumes of landfills can be used as a biomass energy source.The use of biomass can also help increase profits for the agricultural industry.
3. Hydroelectric power is the biggest source of renewable energy,providing 14% of the world's electricity.Fast flowing water released from dams in mountainous area can turn water turbines to produce electricity.In most cases, water is stored behind a dam in a reservoir.Water pressure forces the water onto the blades of a turbine.Rotation of the generator represents the kinetic energy which is finally transformed into electric energy will be supplied for public usage. Ocean or tidal waves can also be used to generate electricity.
4. Coal is a fossil fuel formed over millions of years from plants.It is a hard,black coloured rock-like substance made of carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen and sulphur. Coal is mainly burned in power stations to produces electricity.When coal is burned,it produces a large amount of carbon dioxide, one of the gases responsible for the greenhouse effect.
5. Petroleum is an oily, flammable, liquid solution of yellowish green or black colour, which occurs naturally in earth.It is formed from decomposed plants and animals a long time ago. When distilled, gasoline, kerosene, paraffin, fuel oil, benzene, bitumen and others.These products are used in houses for heating and cooking and in factories as a source of heat energy.They are also used to provide fuel for transport and in power stations. However, their uses,especially petrol and diesel,produce a large amount carbon dioxide.They also produce other poisonous gases that may harm the environment and people's health.
6. Natural gas is formed from the remaining plants,animals and microorganisms that lived millions of year ago.Natural gas a colourless and odourless in its pure form. When burned,it given off a great deal of energy.Unlike other fossil fuels,natural gas emits lower levels of harmful by-products into the air.Natural gas has many applications,commercially,in your home,in industry and even in the transportation sector.
Type of Renewable and Non-renewable Energy
Thursday, 24 November 2011
Wednesday, 23 November 2011
What are Renewable or Non-renewable Energy Resources?
1.Energy resources are divided into two groups:
· Renewable energy
· Non-renewable energy
2.Renewable energy can be replenished when
3. Non-renewable energy cannot be replenished
when used up.
4. Renewable energy resources include solar
energy, wind energy, geothermal energy from
inside the Earth, biomass from plants and
hydropower from water stores in reservoirs
and oceans in the form of wave.
5. We get most of our energy from
non-renewable energy resources, which
include crude oil, natural gas and coal.
They are called fossil fuels because
they are formed over millions of years
from the remains of dead plants and animals
by the action of heat from the Earth’s core
and pressure from the rock and soil. Fossil
fuels are continually produced by decaying
plant and animal matter, but the rate of
their production is extremely slow, very
much slower than the rate at which we
Tuesday, 22 November 2011
Kinetic energy is related to motion of waves, electrons, atoms, molecules , substances and objects.
Potential energy is the energy that is stored and related to the position of something.
Let sing together